I am a contemporary impressionist working in plein air and my studio to create oil, acrylic and watercolor paintings. Originally from Arlington, VA, I recently relocated to Mount Juliet, TN near Nashville and family. I received my BFA in Fine Art from Virginia Commonwealth University and have studied painting since 1996 with nationally known painters such as Ross Merrill (deceased), former Chief of Conservation, The National Gallery of Art and many artists at the Art League in Alexandria, VA. I spent 12 glorious summers at the Nimrod Hall Summer Arts program in Bath County, VA, and more recently I’ve studied with Henry Isaacs (VT), Sara Linda Poly (VA), Trisha Adams (VA), Kevin Menck (TN), Marc Hanson (MS), Bryan Jernigan (VA) and many other master painters. I have been influenced by an extensive study of art materials and art history and travelled widely to paint and tour. Henri Matisse is perhaps my greatest influence.
Every painting has “a story” so rather than just making them available, I decided to tell you about where they were painted or where the emotional reaction came from to bring the piece to completion. I am an emotional painter and am inspired by light, shape and color when I work. Trees have always been a fascination so I have started a series of quick sketches that I like. Perhaps those will be the next work I share? I am happy to share my extensive knowledge of art materials and techniques if you contact me. I hope to hear from you.
RECENT JURIED SHOWS
- 2013 and 2014 Green Spring Garden/Springfield Art Guild’s Fall Show and Sale - Honorable Mention 2014
- 2014 Gallery Underground National Juried Show
- 2014 Arlington Artists Alliance Juried Show at Gallery Underground
FINE ARTS EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Virginia Commonwealth University - Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) English/ Drama/Education - coursework in stage production & direction, set design, costume design, acting, public speaking, drama, and literature
- Secondary English and drama instructor in D.C. Public Schools for four years
- Theatrical costumer for over 10 years in Virginia and Washington, DC community theatre
PAINTING & DRAWING EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Nimrod Hall Summer Arts Program – Bath County, Virginia - participating artist for twelve (12) summers
- The Art League School – Alexandria, Virginia - studied painting & drawing since 1996
- Studied plein air painting with Ross Merrill, Former Chief of Conservation, National Gallery of Art for five (5) years
- Workshop classes with Sara Poly, Susan Herron, Robert Johnson, Valerie Craig, Henry Isaacs, Ashley Bryant, and many others
PROFESSIONAL & VOLUNTEER ARTS AND ARTS-RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Represented National School Boards Association (NSBA) on the steering committee of the Arts Education Partnership , a national arts advocacy group of more than 100 state and national arts agencies, for five (5) years and led a collaborative project with the Americans for the Arts to develop web resources for school board members
- Served for seven (7) years on the selection committee for the joint NSBA/-Kennedy Center award for outstanding arts education program in public schools
- The Art League, Alexandria, VA, board member 2001-2004
- Member - Mid Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association - volunteer webmaster 2007-2010
- Member – Arlington (VA) Artists Alliance, Springfield (VA) Art Guild, and Del Ray Artisans (VA)
Prior to becoming a full time painter, I had 33 year career as an association executive with the American Society for Microbiology and the National School Boards Association. I received an MBA in management from George Mason University and was a Certified Association Executive (CAE).